Friday 11 May 2012

A Hard Choice


The sun cascaded down the sloping streets and the traffic breathed into the city. Taylor and Smith were crossing the roads when they got stuck mid-way.  Smith picked out a gap in the traffic stream and quickly crossed barely saving his life. When Taylor eventually made it Smith smiled at her.
‘Didn’t have the guts to cross with me?’
‘I didn’t think losing my life was any wiser than what you did’.

            Sometimes it’s not about the act of bravery; it’s about the wiser choice out. Before you jump into something you’re not up to, think about the consequences and whether it’s worth it or not. People tell you all the time to strive against the odds, to go that extra mile. But no one tells you what happens after the feat, the applause and exclamations. At the end of the day it’s about you. And no matter how compassionate a person is, it is always about you at the end. We come into this world alone, leave alone so live for yourself. You might think ‘Let me do this. If I do then I can prove my strength and ability’ but if you truly value your work, then you’ll think twice and decide not to go with it. A simple example. 
I was looking forward to my Radio Jockey Program for weeks. I’d been practising my modulations, rewritten the script and finally managed to get energy into my voice. The semester had ended and this was all that was left to show my talent. But today, right before I woke up from my sleep, I fell ill.  I could barely put a smile on my face and all I thought was about my recording at the studio this afternoon. I trudged out and made it to my college and sat waiting hoping my sickness would go away. It was then that I thought about what I really wanted from the situation.

            Of course I wanted relief, wanted to back down and do it some other day, but I knew this would be wrong. The rest of my class wouldn’t be able to record if I didn’t go, and I didn’t want to cause that upon them. So I sat quietly with no other way left…or so I thought. My faculty walked in, saw my condition and proceeded to cancel the studio booking. She asked me only once whether I could do it or not. And I said no.  I had just one shot at my anchoring, I wouldn’t be able to go back and fix the lack of energy in the recording. And I knew that I won’t be the RJ I vision myself as while practicing. That was enough to say no.

When we’re in a creative field, we need to give respect to our work. It’s not about our talent, our health and ability. It’s about doing justice to what comes out of our talent. If you want to give it your best, you still can when you’re feeling down, but it most certainly won’t be the same as what you wanted. So why do we try and regret looking at our own work? Why to look back and feel you did badly when it wasn’t your fault? Isn’t it better to start fresh another day and do it so with flying colors? Won’t that feeling that, you put in your heart and soul and not just gave it your best, worth risking it all? Think about it.  Crossing that road for Taylor wasn’t a big deal; she too knew she could do it. But was it worth? Worth the panic and risk? Ask yourself this before your strain yourself for maximum output. If you think yes, then you’re totally up for it. But even if you seem to take one step back then say no. You’ll be glad you did someday. I did while I wrote this now. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi priya, excellent blog... Hope to see much more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much :) please tell me what's your area of interest so that i can send you links of such articles....

    ReplyDelete